Koor Siew Hwa's Blog

Pictures and Captions

Friday, January 1, 2010

I am Koor from Kulim. I studied in Chio Min Secondary School in the early 70s and was transferred to Sekolah Menengah Sultan Badlishah after Form 3. After a short stint at Sekolah Menengah Sultan Badlishah, my father sent me to Jit Sin High School in Bukit Mertajam where I commute daily from Kulim to BM. It was nostalgic to see the Clock Tower whenever I returned to Kulim where my howetown was. After finishing Form 5, a group of us went to Tunku Abdul Rahman (TAR)College in Kuala Lumpur to study Form Six. Thirteen of us rented a 3-rooms flat from Dr Ganeson at Jalan Klang, Setapak and we stayed here for two years. Among whom from Kulim were Sin Tai Lim, Lim Yoke Tooh, Tan Teow Choon, Ho Tick Choong, Loh Ming Kong, Ooi Soo Keat, Tan Kean Hooi. Residing now in Singapore, I used to visit Kulim every year paying visit to my relatives, old classmates and friends.
Nobody can deny that Kulim was a very peaceful town in the 70s and 80s even up to 90s. I remembered every moring when I got up, I need to put on a cardigen as the air was really fresh and the mornings were cold. Even in the evening, I would feel the coolness and tranquility of the atmosphere. Nowadays, because of the latest development in housing and industrial projects, so many rubber tress were cut down and hardly you could feel the coolness anymore. Even coconut trees are hardly seen. Nevertheless I still love Kulim as the people there are fantastic; no air, simple, friendly and helpful and the people of different races live together in harmony. If you want to know where I stayed in Kulim, it was the zinc roof-top house in the vicinity of Capitol Theatre. The theatre was bustled with cinema goers in the 70s and 80s,but today it is abandoned as DVDs have overtaken the big screen cinema shows and hence it has to closed down. Kulim food is somthing which you would like to look towards to; Laksa, Curry Mee. Rojak, Fried Kway Teow, Wan Ton Mee, `Tua Pooi Hiang' fired noodles, Hajjah Nasi Kandar, Nasi Lemak at the market place and many other cuisines. Do visit Kulim to see the latest development. It is now a prosperous and up and coming town. You can even find a hotel in Kulim nowadays. You can stay in Hotel Kulim if you do not have a place to stay when you visit Kulim. From Bandar Kulim, you may go to Air Terjun (Waterfall) Junjong, or go to Lunas for the famous roast ducks or Padang Serai and many more places with beautiful natural scenery. If you like durians, Kulim is the town you should visit during durian seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home